Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Don't Wake Me Til It's Over


Brett Favre must have realized he hadn't been in the news the last few days because today he announced his retirement from football again...or more like the suspension of his comeback campaign, or his unretirement from being retired?? I don't know anymore, and neither do 95% of sports fans. He must have been jealous that Mike Vick and Plaxico Burress had stolen his thunder in dominating the NFL headlines this week. Can you imagine if Brett Favre did something heinous like accidently shooting himself, or was found to be the ringleader of a backwoods cockfighting ring, he'd never be out of the spotlight! Please Brett, be my guest.

Today, again, centered on Favre's indecisiveness about a comeback with the Minnesota Vikings. Everyone except the Favre diehards, apparently located entirely within the national football media, is sick of this guy. So it comes as little shock that nobody outside of the WWL and Peter King cares that Brett Favre announced today that he won't come back to the Vikings this year. Recently here at RSS we've been big on multipart series, and believe me, I could do 10 parts on why Favre has proven time and again to be the most selfish, self-centered yet somehow revered superstar of our generation. However, the fact that Favre is doing a great job on his own destroying his legacy allows me to show restraint. I'm sure Brett will give me plenty of opportunities in the future.

The funniest tidbit from today's "news" is Favre calling this the "hardest decision I've ever made". Excuse me while I find something sharp to stab my eyes out. Just like retiring from the Packers was such an emotional, tear-jerking moment, and failing to lead the Jets to the playoffs was so terrible. Give me a break. They only were tough because Favre came out looking like a washed-up loser who doesn't know when to ride off into the sunset. I can't wait until Favre sees Sage Rosenfels throw 3 picks on Opening Day and suddenly has the "itch" to play again, that'll buy another 48 hours of headlines. Have you ever seen a "retired" athlete be so desperate to keep his name in the limelight?

I give Favre credit in this sense, he didn't take the easy way out and become just another talking head. He's managed to control the most powerful entity in sports (ESPN) from a farm in Podunk, Mississippi. I'm sure the time will come when Favre joins one of the major networks so he can be a permanent fixture on TV; I'll just need to jab a Q-tip into my brain, then I'll be ready. Until that time comes, everyone should just ignore the once immortal, now tarnished Brett Favre and keep on the lookout, because the next team he sinks his hooks into could be yours!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely written; my sentiments exactly. Favre has become a hack and nowhere near the type of player he would be seen as if he just would've rode off into the sunset last season instead of this sideshow that he has brought upon us all. The problem is that in ESPN's eyes, Favre can do no wrong. He strung out his first decision to come back, then last season's fiasco and now today. I don't believe that he is completely done with football by any means. I will be more surprised if he does NOT come back this season. I thought his first decision to come back was hard, or last season or maybe it is this season.

Favre needs to go back to his ranch, relax in his Wrangler jeans and hop into bed with Peter King and stay out of the spotlight. People wishing he'd keep up this display: Michael Vick (biggest Favre fan currently)

- The Coward