Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Brett Favre, In His Own Words


By now, everyone should know how I personally feel about Brett Favre. He is the most self-absorbed, selfish, star athlete of our time. No player in the last 25 years, save a few brain-damaged boxers, has so tarnished their own legacy. To string along an entire franchise in the Minnesota Vikings and their two potential starting quarterbacks (Sage Rosenfels and Tavaris Jackson) has been disgraceful. No player, not even Brett the Great, is entitled to skipping training camp that every other player in the league has to attend. In his own mind, Favre must imagine himself riding into Minnesota on a white horse, the savior of a franchise. However, the rest of us see him for what he truly is, a washed-up ex-quarterback, arriving into town atop a jackass, how appropriate.

Everyone from columnists, to talking heads, to former and current players seems to have an opinion about Brett Favre's comeback with the Vikings. So, instead of adding to the criticism of the Great Waffler, allow me to let his own words convince you of the level of this man's hyprocrisy.

"It's time to leave"

-Uttered after the Packers 2007 season, yes, 2007! Today the Vikings signed Favre with an option for 2010!

"It's all rumor"

-Favre's response to rumors of his unretirement from the Packers to play for another team.

"You know, the bottom line is, I may not play anywhere. But we have thought of all those things. We have thought about it."

-This was before Favre joined the Jets for a year, apparently the only place he hasn't thought of playing is the CFL.

"But apparently now, they're trying to protect my legacy by bringing me back and having me be a backup. Boy, that is really good."

-The real reason Favre left Green Bay, his ego couldn't handle Aaron Rogers being younger and better. In his own paranoia, Favre's quest to protect his legacy has only destroyed it.

"I've always considered myself the ultimate teammate, regardless of how I've been portrayed this year."

-Just like when you were the ultimate teammate calling out Javon Walker when he wanted the type of financial security you already had. Just like you were the ultimate teammate with the Jets when your own teammates were decrying your special treatment.


"I have family and friends who are like, 'All right, Brett. Is this the real deal? To me, it is. It is. Believe me. It's been a wonderful career, I couldn't ask for anything more. It was worth a shot for me to go to New York. I wish I could've played better down the stretch. I didn't."It's time to leave."

"Nothing has changed," Favre said. "At this time, I am retired and have no intention of returning to football."

-Apparently, Brett only meant it was time to leave New York. He must have misunderstood the question, what with his old age and all. I'm sure he's had some hearing loss, especially after all the mornings of telling himself how great he is being the ultimate teammate.

"It was the hardest decision I've ever made," Favre said. "I didn't feel like physically I could play at a level that was acceptable. I would like to thank everyone, including the Packers, Jets and Vikings -- but, most importantly, the fans."

-Favre deciding to stay retired and not join the Minnesota Vikings. Less than a month later, Favre would line up under center at a Minnesota Vikings practice. Apparently when he thanked the Packers, Jets, Vikings, and fans, he meant to say Brett Favre, myself, me, and #4.

"I think [my return is] great for football. I can't see how you wouldn't think it would be."

-Of course it is Brett, great for all of the people who worship the ground you walk on and all the fans and teammates you've walked over to get to where you are today. Congratulations, you have now reached the height of your delusion. I can't wait to see what wisdom you bless us with next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NOW THIS IS BLOGGING!!!! Although your points may be somewhat magnified seeing how your favorite team is the Chiciago Bears. Still though, I agree with what you say. I think this whole scheme was hatched last year when he found out he wasn't going to be going to Minnesota. Green Bay couldn't keep him from Minn. after he "retired". For Sugar Ray Leonard, this was acceptable. For Favre, it is shameful, disgusting and laughable.

- The Coward

Mr. Yoder I said...

Amen.

Mr. Yoder I said...

Brett Favre on trial:

Exhibit A:

http://gnb.scout.com/2/376285.html

Exhibit B:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/01/thomas-jones-calls-out-brett-favre-another-teammate-calls-him/

You be the judge.