Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Brother Yohey Special Comment: Derek Anderson Trashes Cleveland Browns Fans


I was going to start looking over and studying the top DL in the upcoming NFL Draft for our continuing series today. However, this little nugget came across the wire this evening, courtesy of my uncle. The provider of this quote; the NFL's representation of David Caruso's acting career, Derek Anderson:

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner. I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

Very courteous and gentlemanly Derek, you incessant moron. Cleveland fans are ruthless, huh? Really? Thanks for the insight Einstein. This is the city that would throw dog bones and batteries at the opposition at the old stadium and the site of Bottlegate in 2001. When your team hasn't had a championship since 1964, a playoff game since 1994 and one 2 winning seasons since the playoff season of 1994, you tell me why they shouldn't be ruthless?

Not deserving a winner? You kidding me? This team was set to fail (read Terry Pluto's False Start and you tell me there was no fudge up on the part of the NFL owners), and have had management whose incompetency is only rivaled by that of Enron and Worldcom. Cleveland has the best fans in the entire NFL. Browns Backers exist worldwide and only Cleveland would have their team returned in 3 years after it was soullessly ripped away from them.

You got cheered when you were injured. Hmm..wonder why, Derek? Maybe it was your ability to complete more passes to the defense than your own receivers, or the fact that you took the helm when the team ended the season on a 6-game losing streak. Or, the attitude you possessed, where you could be seeing laughing and joking when the Steelers where handing it to you twice a season. Or the fact that you, SIR, lost the Cincinnati game in Week 16 of the 2007 season that would have put the Browns into the playoffs. Your 4 INT performance that afternoon was epic. It reminded me of the Doug Pederson/Spurgeon Wynn days of glory.

"I know at times I wasn't great" Too easy.

"I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them." Way to burn the bridge, Derek, when this team shelled out $14 million plus the past two seasons to give your hick @$$. NEWSFLASH: You won't be starting, wherever you go. Teams are going to love your rocket arm but when your rocket arm has the accuracy of a mid-90's Iraqi SCUD missle (cha-cha) you won't get very far. You have no touch on the short passes, you can't hit the 20 yarders that need to be dropped between the LB and the safety, you can't throw the deep ball.

Okay, I realize that Anderson was at the helm when the Browns went 10-6, threw for 3700+ yards and 29 TD. Yes, he made the Pro Bowl. However, the tandem of Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb led Cleveland to their most recent playoff appearance in 2002. This year you were 3-5 as a starter. In those 3 wins, you averaged 76.6 yards per game including the epic 2/17 23 yards 0 TD 1 INT 0.0 Passer Rating game in Buffalo.
Anderson is the epitome of what is wrong with the modern athlete; they presume that the people owe them for what they did on the field. Their blood, sweat, tears mumbo jumbo and sacrificing their bodies. You had one good season Derek and got your swindle of Phil Savage (which wasn't hard -- see Corey Williams, Kevin Shaffer, LeCharles Bentley, Donte Stallworth) and now you are looking for more millions. I hope you find work and when your team does come back to town I hope you are playing; maybe then you will be able to complete some passes for the Browns.

Be careful out there.
Epilogue: I guess my words have some credence. After a "heartfelt" apology from Anderson, stating how the people the know him will say that wasn't the real him and how he enjoyed his time in Cleveland, I just want to vomit. You enjoyed your time in Cleveland because you got paid $10+ million to give away more games than the WNBA. Seriously, Derek, you should have just stuck your foot right in your mouth to begin with and not said a word. I would say stick a football in your mouth but given your history of lackluster ( and that is putting it nicely) accuracy, you probably would have hit your eye or nose.

No comments: